TSTours offer educational tours tailored for primary, secondary and hospitality students.
Fresh Food - School Tours
On behalf of Sydney Markets Thomson Street conducts Market Tours for both primary and secondary schools in NSW. On this unique field trip, open to students in yrs 4-18, students learn about the history of the Sydney Markets, the Central Market system, how fresh produce gets from the ‘farm to plate’, and the variety of different fruit and vegetables available in the market. Tours, to a certain extent, can be tailored to the learning needs of the class group.
In order for the students to gain the most from this unique experience, tours are encouraged, but not restricted to commence around 7:00am. This will allow the student to see the Sydney Market while it is busy.
Why Take a Fresh Food Market Tour?
Market tours enable students to learn more about healthy eating. Students can also increase
their knowledge and skills in the selection of fruit and vegetables, breads and cereals, meats, fish and poultry.
When visiting a market, students will have the opportunity to:
- explore the market place to experience its sights, sounds, smells and tastes
- have fun learning about foods, especially fruit and vegetables
- taste a variety of fruit and vegetables
- learn about the ‘Grower to Market to Plate’ process
- dentify the role of fruit and vegetables in a healthy diet
- earn about the origin of foods and growing foods
- experience new flavours and cultural foods
- learn about preparing and serving fruit and vegetables
Hospitality Course - Market Tours
The Hospitality tours include, a personalised behind the scenes tour of the Sydney Markets with information given by the tour guides and Fruit and Veg agent employees. Students are guided around the markets, which includes lots of food industry based information, tastings, and demonstrations. Make the Sydney Markets tour part of your schools educational experience, teaching the students about the fresh food Industry. Tours can be tailored to suit a variety of streams, including topics such as, food and cooking, organic foods and good nutrition.